More than 1,200 date abuse perpetrators were arrested in Seoul from June-August, as police conducted a special crackdown on violence against women, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said Thursday.
Police encouraged women to contact the agency whenever they felt their safety was threatened on both public and private property during the period.
Some 7,810 women reported feeling unsafe via smartphone applications and by phone.
Each case was handled by officers specializing in crime prevention. All of the women received police support for security, the agency added.
Also during the period, some 607 surveillance cameras, as well as 674 security bells, were newly installed throughout Seoul. A total of 1,255 date abuse perpetrators were arrested in the course of three months, the agency said.
According to a 2014 study by Duo, a matchmaking agency, 72.3 percent of 491 surveyed single Koreans in their 20s and 30s said they had been abused by a romantic partner at least once in their lives.
On top of date abuse, misogyny has surfaced as a major issue in South Korea recently.
In May, a 34-year-old man stabbed to death a woman he had never met before. He later said he committed the crime because he hated women.
Police controversially concluded that month the murder case was not a misogynistic crime, as the man was suffering from severe mental disease.
“We are planning to continue with this program and provide support for women who feel their safety is threatened,” police said.
By Claire Lee(firstname.lastname@example.org)