A committee will likely be launched this week to lay the groundwork for a foundation for South Korean women who worked in Japanese military brothels during World War II, sources said Sunday.
The committee will be tasked with the implementation of a slew of compensation measures announced during a historic agreement between South Korea and Japan in December last year for the "comfort women."
"As far as I know, the committee will be launched around May 31," a person familiar with the matter said.
Seoul and Tokyo agreed to establish the foundation aimed at helping the victims recover mentally and physically from their horrendous experiences. Tokyo promised to donate 1 billion yen to the foundation.
The committee will write up the articles of the foundation, decide on its future direction and discuss logistical matters on how to receive the payment.
According to the sources, the foundation is expected to start operating sometime next month.
The committee is said to be comprised of some 10 experts, including officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, with high possibility of a woman taking the top job.
The South Korean government has been running a task force to help establish the foundation since the agreement. (Yonhap)