National
Defense minister urges military to stay alert against provocations
Published : Dec 1, 2011 - 16:25
Updated : Dec 1, 2011 - 20:56

Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin on Thursday urged key military commanders to stay alert against potential North Korean provocations.

Kim chaired a biannual meeting of some 150 senior military officers, including Army Gen. Jung Seung-jo, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS); the chiefs of staff for the Army, the Navy and the Air Force; and other key commanders from all branches of the service. The first such meeting this year was held in May.

(Yonhap News)


At the start of the meeting, Kim told the commanders that the military must never let its guard down.

"Over the past year, we have stressed that we will exercise our right to self-defense and sternly punish the enemy if it provokes us again," Kim said. "Our forces have transformed into combat-ready forces and I think this is the direction we have to take going forward."

The military has beefed up its defense posture following two deadly North Korean attacks last year -- its torpedoing of the South Korean warship Cheonan and its shelling of Yeonpyeong Island, both in the Yellow Sea. Fifty South Koreans, including two civilians, were killed in the provocations.

Kim said the year 2012 will be a critical one for security on the Korean Peninsula since South Korea, as well key allies such as the U.S., China and Russia, will all hold presidential elections.

Also, North Korea has set out to become a powerful and prosperous nation in 2012.

The minister said as the third-generation hereditary succession is underway in Pyongyang, from Kim Jong-il to his third son Jong-un, the North may seek to use provocations to deal with political instability, economic hardships and public discontent.

"To address these issues and find some breakthrough, the North may again resort to provocations against the South," Kim said. "And in these extremely difficult times, our military should stay focused on our missions. As in the past, our enemy could catch us by surprise when we appear vulnerable."

After Kim's speech, the rest of the meeting was held behind the closed doors. According to officials who attended the session, the minister also called on commanders to lead the way for their respective units to prepare against provocations both mentally and physically, and to facilitate joint operations between different echelons and branches. (Yonhap News)

 

<한글기사>

김국방 "北 내년 도발 가능성"

김관진 국방장관은 1일 북한이 내년 정치불안과 경제난 등으로 도발할 가능성이 있다고 경고했다.

김 장관은 이날 국방부 대회의실에서 정승조 합참의장과 김상기 육군ㆍ최윤희 해군ㆍ박종헌 공군총장, 군단장급 이상 각 군 지휘관 등 150여명이 참석한 가운데 비공개로 열린 전군 주요지휘관회의에서 이같이 밝혔다.

김 장관은 "북한은 내년을 소위 강성대국 진입 원년의 해로 설정했다"면서 "3대 세습이 진행되는 가운데 권력 이양에 따른 정치불안, 경제난, 주민 불만 등  복합적 인 여러 요인이 발생할 수 있을 것"이라고 평가했다.

그는 "북한은 이런 여러 가지 요인에 대한 돌파구 마련을 위해 도발이라는 수단 을 또 쓸 수 있다"면서 "과거에 그랬듯이 우리가 방심하거나 취약점을 보이는  시기 에 기습적으로 도발할 것"이라고 경고했다.

김 장관은 "우리 군은 어려운 시기일수록 오로지 우리 본연의 임무에   "국민들

은 군이 일사불란한 모습으로 군사대비에 열중하는 모습을 봤을 때 지지하고 믿고 신뢰를 보낸다"고 말했다.

그는 "적이 도발한다면 자위권 차원에서 강력히 응징한다는 것을 강조해 왔고 지난 1년 동안 준비해 왔다"면서 "앞으로도 고강도의 교육훈련과 행정 소요 최소화, 전투형 군대로 과감한 변신 노력을 기울여야 한다"고 덧붙였다.

이어 김진영 해군 1함대사령관은 "전 장병은 완벽한 동계 대비태세를 갖추고 있 으며 어떠한 도발이 있더라도 현장에서 강력하게 응징하도록 하겠다"고 보고했다. 

홍완표 공군 북부전투사령관은 "공군은 적이 도발하면 즉각 출격해 적의  원점 은 물론 지원지역까지도 일격에 날려버릴 수 있도록 대비하고 있다"고 밝혔다.

이날 지휘관회의는 안보정세 평가 및 군사대비태세 보고, 북한군 동향 보고, 내 년도 국방정책 추진 방향 토의 등의 순으로 진행됐다.

합참은 현재 북한군의 특이 동향은 포착되지 않고 있으나 내년에는 북한 내부정 세가 불안정해 도발할 가능성이 있기 때문에 이에 대비하고 있다고 보고했다.

국방부는 내년 국방정책 추진 방향으로 전투형 군대 정착, 국방개혁 추진 및 전 시작전통제권 전환 완벽 준비, 장병복지 증진 등을 제시했다.

지휘관들은 이어 오후에는 합참 작전지휘관회의에 참석했다.

정 의장은 "북한군이 가장 두려워하는 합참의장, 전시작전통제권 전환의 초석을 다지는 합참의장이 되겠다"면서 ▲작전사 중심의 완벽한 작전 ▲전투위주로  사고하 고 훈련하는 풍토 등을 업무수행지침으로 제시했다.

그는 또 "승리한 군대만이 국민의 지지를 받을 수 있다. 적이 도발하면  적에게 는 위기가 되고 우리에겐 기회가 될 수 있도록 해야한다"면서 '단호한 대응'을 강조했다.

naver
MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS