U.S. weighs aid to N. Korea in flood aftermath
Aug. 6, 2011 - 10:38
WASHINGTON (Yonhap News) – The United States said Friday that it is "looking into" the issue of North Korea's recent flood, although the communist nation has not made a related aid request.
"We remain concerned about the well-being of the North Korean people," the State Department said in a press release.
"We are looking into the issue of recent flooding in North Korea. No additional aid has been requested at this time."
The statement came in response to a question on whether Washington is considering providing emergency relief for victims in flood-hit areas in the North.
"The United States supports emergency humanitarian assistance to the people of North Korea in accordance with international standards for monitoring," it added.
"Our humanitarian assistance is not linked to any political or security issues."
North Korea earlier said through its state media that a recent powerful typhoon and heavy rains have left dozens of people dead, injured or missing while destroying thousands of houses.
The North asked South Korea to send food and cement earlier this week after Seoul offered 5 billion won ($4.7 million) in aid materials.
Early this year, Pyongyang appealed for the international community to hand out food. The U.S. sent an on-site assessment team in late May but has yet to announce a decision on food aid for the North.