Business
Naver, Daum may file complaint against Google, Apple
Published : Apr 12, 2011 - 20:38
Updated : Apr 13, 2011 - 09:08

Local portals Naver and Daum were considering filing a complaint with the Fair Trade Commission against Google and Apple for allowing only Google and a few other chosen portals on their smartphones, industry sources said on Tuesday.

Currently, Google, Yahoo and Bing are the only search engines carried by smartphones powered by Android and Apple operating systems.

Naver and Daum believe the limited choice is unfair and boosted Google’s mobile market share up to 20 percent in Korea, which sharply contrasts with its 5 percent share in the online market.

Spokespeople at Naver and Daum said the complaints would most likely be filed this week.

They appeared, however, to be cautious about remarking on the issue, saying they were going to be acting in collaboration after thoroughly reviewing the issue.

The two portals reached an agreement to act together when the chief executives of NHN Corp., the operator of Naver, and Daum discussed the issue late last year, according to industry sources.

Google, meanwhile, protests that it applied no pressure whatsoever on the phonemakers to use its portal.

By Kim Ji-hyun (jemmie@heraldcorp.com)


한글요약

네이버와 다음, 구글 공정위 제소 검토

네이버와 다음이 구글 안드로이드폰에 구글 등 일부 검색엔진이 기본 탑재되는 것에 제동을 걸기 위해 공정거래위원회에 구글을 불공정거래로 제소하는 방안을 검토중인 것으로 알려졌다.
 
12일 업계 관계자들에 따르면, 네이버와 다음은 구글 제소를 이르면 이번 주 내에 확정하고 애플의 추가 제소 여부도 결정한다는 방침이다.
이에 대해 네이버와 다음 관계자들은 해당 사안에 대해서는 지난해부터 문제점을 인식하고 함께 검토를 진행 중이나, 아직까지 시기나 구체적인 사안 등은 확정된 것 없다고 말했다.

네이버와 다음은 안드로이드 OS를 탑재한 스마트폰의 기본 검색창이 구글과 기타 몇 개의 검색엔진으로 한정되어 있어 국내 포털에 비호의적이라는 지적이다.

그로 인해 유선 웹에서는 고전 중인 구글이 검색창 기본 탑재로 모바일 검색 점유율을 20% 가까이 끌어올렸다고도 주장한다.  

해당 사안은 지난해 말 최세훈 다음 대표가 김상헌 NHN 대표에게 공정위 제소를 제안하면서 논의가 진행 중인 것으로 알려졌다.
구글은 현재 제조사에게 검색창 탑재에 대한 어떤 압력도 없었다는 입장이다.
 
naver
MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS