National
Six out of 10 crimes involving U.S. servicemen not indicted: report
Published : Sep 26, 2012 - 14:09
Updated : Sep 28, 2012 - 16:45
U.S. military police and Korean police officers are haggling at a commercial district near the U.S. military headquarter in Korea. (Yonhap News)

More than 60 percent of crimes involving U.S. soldiers in South Korea were not sent to courts for trial last year, a government report showed Wednesday, raising concerns that judicial authorities are too lenient on such crimes.

Charges were not pressed in 63.4 percent or 218 out of 344 criminal cases, involving U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) personnel in 2011, according to the report submitted by the National Police Agency and the justice ministry to the parliament.

The share was up sharply from 30.1 percent in 2008, the report showed.

A prosecutor‘s decision to not arraign a criminal suspect is referred to as a non-indictment disposal. This category includes suspension of indictment, non-suspicion due to insufficient evidence or crime not acknowledged, crime not established, no arraignment right and dismissal.

During the same period, the number of crimes reported to the authorities that involved U.S. soldiers rose from 261 to 341, the report said.

Rep. Yoo Seung-woo of the Saenuri Party, who released the report, called on the judicial authorities to more actively prosecute the criminals.

“Though crimes by U.S. Army soldiers in South Korea have increased every year, law authorities failed to properly punish those cases,” Yoo said in a release.

About 28,500 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea as a legacy of the three-year Korean War that ended in 1953.

The news of U.S. service members implicated in high-profile cases in the past have often incited protests from civic groups and public uproar in the country where people still harbor mixed feelings about the U.S. military presence.

Last October, Gen. James Thurman, the top USFK commander, publicly apologized after two of his soldiers were accused of raping teenage Korean girls in separate incidents. (Yonhap News)



<관련 한글 기사>



미군 범죄에 한국은 ‘솜방망이’, 이럴수가..


지난해 주한미군이 저지른 범죄 10건 중 6건 이상에 대해 우리 사법당국이 불기소 처분을 내려 너무 관대한 것 아니냐는 비판이 제기됐다.

경찰청과 법무부가 국회 행정안전위원회 새누리당 유승우 의원에 26일 제출한 자료에 따르면 지난해 우리 사법당국이 처리한 주한미군 범죄 344건 중 218건이 불기소로 결론났다.

이는 처리된 사건 중 63.4%에 대해 ’혐의없음‘이나 기소유예, 공소권 없음, 각하 등 의견을 내 재판 없이 사건이 종결됐다는 의미다.

처리된 사건 중 불기소 의견으로 처리된 사건의 비중은 2008년 30.1%를 시작으로 2009년 53.6%, 2010년 52.4%를 기록한 데 이어 2011년에는 63.4%로 대폭 늘었다.

이에 비해 벌금형 등 약식기소라도 한 사례는 지난해 71건으로 처리된 사건 중 20.6%에 그쳤다. 이는 2008년의 23.0%, 2009년의 23.9%, 2010년의 25.1% 대비 낮은 수준이다.

기소 의견으로 정식 재판을 받게 한 사례는 지난해 21건으로 전체 처리 사건의 6.1%에 불과했다.

같은 기간 주한미군 관련 범죄로 당국에 접수된 사건 수는 2008년 261건을 시작으로 2009년에 325건, 2010년 380건, 지난해 341건으로 전반적인 상향곡선을 그리고 있다.

유승우 의원은 “주한미군 범죄에 대해 불기소 처분이 많다는 것은 사법당국이 기소권과 재판권을 적극적으로 행사하지 않고 있다는 의미”라면서 “주한미군 범죄가 해마다 증가 추세에 있는 만큼 처벌에도 좀 더 적극적으로 나서야 한다”고 말했다.
naver
MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS