National
New missile targets N.K. underground artillery bases
Published : Sep 18, 2012 - 16:50
Updated : Sep 18, 2012 - 16:55

South Korea has developed a short-range ballistic missile aimed at destroying underground artillery bases in North Korea, a lawmaker of the parliamentary defense committee said Tuesday.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff briefed committee members in a closed-door meeting Monday that the military has succeeded in developing the guided missile with a range of 100 kilometers and successfully conducted test-firing in May, according to a lawmaker who attended the briefing.

The missile is designed to be fired from a multiple launch rocket system and uses a ground-based navigation system, which is resistant to GPS (global positioning system) jamming signals, to fly to targets.

“The JCS briefed that it has succeeded in developing a guided-missile designed to destroy underground artillery bases and plans to enter into mass production,” the lawmaker told Yonhap News by phone.

According to another committee member, the JCS reported the missile’s guiding system needs improvement, but other core technologies, such as the capabilities to penetrate underground bunkers and locate tunnel entrances, have been completed.

The JCS also showed committee members a video of the test-firing, the lawmaker said.

The project was launched by President Lee Myung-bak after the North shelled the front-line island of Yeonpyeong near the tense western sea border in November 2010, killing four South Koreans, including two civilians.

The project is in line with the military‘s move to beef up its missile defense. The defense ministry earlier this month submitted a revised mid-term budget plan, which set aside 2.7 trillion won ($2.3 billion) to secure hundreds of tactical weapons in the next five years.

Pyongyang unsuccessfully tried to launch a rocket in April, which was seen as a long-range missile test in disguise. The international community remains concerned about North Korea’s development of ballistic missiles, especially those that can carry nuclear bombs. (Yonhap News)



<관련 한글 기사>


군, 비밀리에 北 겨냥한 탄도 유도탄 개발!

군 당국이 `번개사업(대통령 특명사업)'으로 비밀리에 추진 중이던 북한 장사정포 갱도진지 파괴용 탄도 유도탄 개발에 성공한 것으로 알려졌다.

합동참모본부는 17일 오후 용산 합참 청사를 방문한 국회 국방위원들에게 군의 전력증강 계획을 보고하면서 이같이 밝혔다고 여야 국방위원들이 18일 전했다.

갱도진지 파괴용 탄도유도탄은 에이테킴스 다연장로켓(MLRS) 발사대를 이용해 사거리 100㎞가량의 단거리 탄도유도탄을 발사, 북한 GPS(인공위성위치정보) 교란을 회피하는 지상기반항법체계(GBNS)의 유도를 받아 장사정포 진지를 파괴하는 무기다.

한 국방위원은 연합뉴스와의 통화에서 "합참이 갱도진지 파괴용 탄도유도탄 개발에 성공했고 양산할 계획이라고 보고했다"며 "GBNS를 기반으로 한 (지난 5월) 시험발사에 성공했으며, 공개사업(차기 전술유도무기)으로 전환해 추진한다는 보고도 있었다"고 밝혔다.

다른 국방위원은 "(합참은) 유도장치와 관련한 보완이 필요하나 벙커를 파고드는 관통력과 갱도 입구를 찾아가는 능력 등 핵심 기술은 완성됐다고 보고하면서 시험평가 당시 동영상도 공개했다"고 전했다.

갱도진지 파괴용 탄도유도탄 개발 사업은 2010년 11월23일 북한의 연평도포격 도발 이후 이명박 대통령의 지시로 추진됐으나 개발 가능성에 대한 의문이 꾸준히 제기된 바 있다.

최근에는 시험발사에 실패해 2015년까지 체계개발을 하는 일반사업으로 전환한다는 국내 언론의 보도도 있었지만 군 당국은 국방위원들 앞에서 "시험발사에 성공했고 양산에 들어갈 계획"이라며 보도내용을 전면 부인했다.

합참은 구체적인 양산 계획과 전력화 계획에 대해서는 국방위원들에게 보고하지 않았다.

이에 따라 북한의 장사정포 위협에 대응하는 전략무기를 번개사업이라는 이름으로 비밀리에 추진하고 최근 `국방중기계획 2013-2017'에 끼워넣은 것에 대한 국방위원들의 질타가 있었던 것으로 알려졌다.

야당 소속의 한 국방위원은 "갱도진지 파괴용 미사일의 시험발사에 성공했으면 엄청난 것인데 공개하지 않고 왜 비밀리에 하는지 이해가 가지 않는다"며 "전쟁 억지력 차원에서도 이를 발표할 필요가 있다"고 지적했다.

합참이 전력증강 사업의 하나로 보고한 차세대 전투기(F-X) 도입 사업도 논란이 됐다.

군 당국은 올해 안에 기종 선정을 마무리하는 내용의 사업 추진 절차를 보고했으나 일부 국방위원들은 기종 선정 절차를 올해 안에 끝내려고 하기보다는 신중하게 추진할 필요가 있다고 지적한 것으로 전해졌다.

국방위원들은 전날 오후 3시 합참 신청사를 방문해 청사 내 시설을 둘러보고 나서 북한군의 동향과 우리 군의 대응태세에 관한 보고를 받았다.

갱도진지 파괴용 탄도유도탄과 F-X 등 일부 전력증강사업에 대한 논란으로 국방 위원들은 저녁 8시 넘어서까지 군 관계자들과 토의를 벌인 것으로 알려졌다.

naver
MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS