National
N.K. long-range rocket crashes shortly after takeoff
Published : Apr 13, 2012 - 08:53
Updated : Apr 13, 2012 - 11:06

PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) -- Defying international concerns, North Korea fired a long-range rocket early Friday, but it appears to have fallen into the sea, splintering moments after takeoff, South Korean and U.S. officials said.

The liftoff took place at 7:39 a.m. (2139 GMT Thursday) from the west coast launch pad in the hamlet of Tongchang-ri, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul said, citing South Korean and U.S. intelligence.

The two countries as well as many others had warned against the launch, calling it a provocation and a cover to test missile technology. North Korea had insisted it would not back down, and said the rocket would only carry a satellite, touting it as a major technological achievement to mark the 100th birth anniversary of the country's founder, Kim Il Sung, on Sunday.

Still, if the U.S. report of a failure, backed by Japan and South Korea, is true, it would be a major embarrassment for Pyongyang, which has invited dozens of international journalists to observe the rocket launch and other celebrations.

It has staked its pride on the satellite launch seen as a show of strength amid persistent economic hardship as Kim Il Sung's grandson, Kim Jong Un, solidifies power following the death of his father, longtime leader Kim Jong Il, four months ago.

``It blows a big hole in the birthday party,'' said Victor Cha, former director for Asia policy in the U.S. National Security Council, contacted in Washington. ``It's terribly embarrassing for the North.''

He said the next step would be to watch whether North Korea would conduct a nuclear test, as has been speculated by the South Korean intelligence community. North Korea is reportedly making preparations for such a test soon.

``We have to watch very carefully what they are doing now at the nuclear test site and how they explain this with all those foreign journalists in the country,'' Cha said.

In Pyongyang, there was no word about a launch, and at the time, state television was broadcasting video of popular folk tunes. North Korean officials said they would make an announcement about the launch ``soon.''

It had earlier said that the rocket would be fired any day between April 12 and April 16. The daily window was supposed to be 9 a.m. to noon.

South Korea's Foreign Minister Kim Sung-hwan said the rocket launch was confirmed a ``failure.'' He provided no details.

But earlier, South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok told reporters the rocket splintered into pieces moments after takeoff.

North Korea fired a long-range rocket early Friday, April 13, 2012, South Korean defense officials said, defying international warnings against a launch widely seen as a provocation. (Yonhap Photo)

In Washington, a U.S. official also said the launch appeared to have failed. The official offered no further details and would not discuss the source of the U.S. information.

``We suspect the North Korean missile has fallen as it divided into pieces minutes after liftoff,'' Tokyo, which was prepared to shoot down any rocket flying over its territory, also confirmed a launch from North Korea.

``We have confirmed that a certain flying object has been launched and fell after flying for just over a minute,'' Japan's Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka said. He said there was no impact on Japanese territory.

North Korean space officials said the Unha-3 rocket is meant to send a satellite into orbit to study crops and weather patterns _ its third bid to launch a satellite since 1998. Officials took foreign journalists to the west coast site to see the rocket and the Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite Sunday in a bid to show its transparency amid accusations of defiance.

``For all their advanced technology, these rockets are fairly fragile things,'' said Brian Weeden, a technical adviser at Secure World Foundation who is a former Air Force officer at the U.S. Space Command. ``You're looking at a metal cylinder that has fairly thin walls that contains a lot of high pressure liquid.''

Weeden said the launch appeared to be a failure of both space and missile objectives.

``The earlier it breaks up, the less data you've collected, so the less useful that test is likely to be,'' he said. ``It's very likely that the U.S. and its allies probably gathered more info about this test than the North Koreans have.''

He said U.S. and other nations had been poised to keep close watch on the launch to gather intelligence about the state of North Korea's rocket program.

The United States, Britain, Japan and others have called such a launch a violation of U.N. resolutions prohibiting North Korea from nuclear and ballistic missile activity.

Experts say the Unha-3 carrier is the same type of rocket that would be used to launch a long-range missile aimed at the U.S. and other targets. North Korea has tested two atomic devices but is not believed to have mastered the technology needed to mount a nuclear warhead on a long-range missile.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, speaking for the Group of Eight nations after their foreign ministers met in Washington, said Thursday that all the members of the bloc agreed to be prepared to take further action against North Korea in the Security Council if the launch went ahead.

``Pyongyang has a clear choice: It can pursue peace and reap the benefits of closer ties with the international community, including the United States; or it can continue to face pressure and isolation,'' Clinton said.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak was convening an emergency security meeting, officials said.


<관련 한글 기사>

"北로켓, `기술적 결함'으로 발사직후 추락"

북한이 13일 오전 서해안으로 장거리 로켓을 발사했지만 '기술적 결함' 때문에 발사 1분후 몇  조각으 로 파괴돼 바다로 추락한 것으로 보인다고 미국과 일본 언론이 관리들의 말을 인용, 보도했다.

유엔 안전보장이사회는 북한의 이날 장거리 로켓 발사와 관련해 긴급 회의를 소 집했고, 일본 정부도 긴급 안전보장회의를 소집하는 등 대책 마련에 부심하고 있다.

특히 북한은 이날 로켓 발사 실패에도 불구, 조만간 핵실험을 실시할 가능성을 배제할 수 없어 주목된다.

미 ABC 방송은 이날 익명의 관계자들 말을 인용, 북한이 국제사회의 강력한  비 난속에 발사를 강행한 미사일이 바다로 추락한 것으로 보인다고 긴급 보도했다.

CNN 방송도 북한의 장거리 로켓이 발사됐으나 대기권을 벗어나기 전에 여러  조 각으로 파괴돼 추락한 것 같다고 전했다.

AFP 통신은 북한이 장거리 로켓을 발사했지만 '기술적 결함' 때문에 실패했다는 일부 보도와 관련해 미 당국이 사실 여부를 확인 중이라고 전했다.

미 관리들은 북한의 로켓이 발사한 직후 여러 조각으로 분리돼 바다로 추락했다 는 보도 내용도 확인중이라고 이 통신은 덧붙였다. 그러나 미 관리들은 이런 정보를 어디서 입수했는지에 대해서는 함구했다.

일본 NHK 방송은 일 방위성 관계자를 인용, 북한이 발사한 장거리 로켓이  40만 피트(약 120㎞)까지 상승한 뒤 4조각으로 파괴돼 서해 부근에 추락했다고 보도했다.

일본 정부의 정보를 전달하는 'Em Net'도 방위성을 인용해 "미국 조기경계위성 이 오전 7시40분께 발사 정보를 확인했다"며 "발사 장소는 북한의 서해안이고, 발사 방향은 남쪽, 발사 로켓의 개수는 정확하지 않다. 발사체는 발사 직후 여러개로  파 괴된 듯 하다. 일본에 날아온 것은 확인되지 않았다"고 전했다.

앞서 일본 정부는 북한의 미사일이 1분 이상 날다가 바다에 떨어졌다고 발사 실 패 사실을 확인했다.

일본의 후지무라 오사무(藤村修) 관방장관은 북한의 미사일 발사와 관련한 기자 회견에서 "북한이 로켓을 발사했으나 1분 이상 날다가 바다에 떨어졌다"고 밝혔다.

다나카 나오키(田中直紀) 방위상도 북한이 장거리 탄도 미사일을 발사했으나 1분 이상 날다가 바다에 떨어진 것으로 보인다고 말했다.

그는 또 "북한의 미사일이 1분 이상 날아올랐다"면서 "북한의 미사일 발사로 인 한 일본 영토나 영해에 미치는 영향은 없다"고 확인했다.

한편 유엔 안보리는 북한의 장거리 로켓 발사에 따른 "후속 조치를 결정하기 위 해" 내일 15개 회원국 대표들이 만나 긴급회의를 가질 것이라고 유엔 외교관이 12일 밝혔다.

유엔은 안보리 결의안을 통해 북한에 미사일 기술을 실험하지 말 것을 요구해 왔다.

특히 버락 오바마 미 대통령은 북한이 미사일 발사를 강행하면 유엔 안보리  결 의를 위반하게 될 것이라고 경고해왔다. 아울러 미 정부는 북한이 미사일 발사를 하 면 이는 중요한 도발행위이며 북한에 제공키로 한 식량 공급도 위험에 빠뜨리게 할 것이라고 밝힌 바 있다.

일본 정부도 이날 오전 8시40분 총리 관저에서 북한의 미사일 발사와 관련 긴급 안전보장회의를 소집했다고 교도통신이 보도했다.



美백악관 "北미사일 실패..도발행위"



미국 백악관은 12일 북한의 장거 리로켓 발사와 관련, "미사일 발사 시도가 실패했으나 이번 도발행위는 지역안보를 위협하고 국제 법규와 자신들의 약속을 위배했다"고 밝혔다.

백악관은 이날 대변인 명의의 성명을 통해 이같이 비난한 뒤 "북한이 보여온 공 격적 행태의 패턴을 감안하면 이번 사태는 놀라운 것이 아니다"며 "북한의 어떤  미 사일 관련 행동도 국제사회의 우려사항"이라고 지적했다.

그러면서 "미국은 북한의 도발을 감시할 것이며, 역내 동맹의 안보에 충실하게 기여할 것"이라고 강조했다.

백악관은 이어 "버락 오바마 대통령은 북한과 건설적으로 대화할 준비가 돼  있 다는 점을 분명히 해왔다"면서 "그러나 오바마 대통령은 북한이 약속을 준수하고, 국제의무를 지키고, 이웃국가들과 평화로운 관계를 가져야 한다고 동시에 주장해 왔 다"고 밝혔다.

또 "북한은 도발행위로 인해 스스로의 고립을 더욱 심화시켰고, 주민들이  굶주 리는 동안에도 무기와 선전용 과세를 위해 돈을 낭비했다"면서 "북한의 미사일과 핵 무기 개발은 스스로의 안보를 담보하지 못했고 앞으로도 그렇지 않을 것"이라고  경 고했다.

이밖에 백악관은 "북한은 국제 법규를 준수하고, 의무를 지키고, 주민을 먹여살 리고, 어린이들을 교육시키고, 이웃들의 신뢰를 획득해야만 스스로의 힘을 확인하고 안보를 확보할 수 있을 것"이라고 덧붙였다.



정부 "北 도발행위, 응분의 책임 져야"



김성환 외교통상부 장관은 13일 북한의 장거리 로켓 발사와 관련, "유엔 안보리 결의 1874호의 명백한 위반이자 한반도와 동북아의 평화와 안전을 위협하는 도발행위"라고 규정했다.

김 장관은 이날 청와대에서 정부 성명을 통해 "북한은 오늘 7시39분 평북  철산 군 발사장에서 소위 `실용위성'이라고 주장하는 사실상 장거리 미사일을 발사했으나 실패한 것으로 확인됐다"면서 이같이 밝혔다.

특히 그는 "우리 정부는 북한의 새 지도부가 국제사회의 일치된 발사 철회 요구 를 무시하고 이를 강행한 것을 강력히 규탄한다"면서 "북한은 이에 대한 응분의  책 임을 져야 할 것"이라고 지적했다.

김 장관은 또 "북한이 만성적 식량부족 등 절박한 민생문제를 제쳐두고 막대한 재원을 핵무기와 미사일 능력 개발에 사용되고 있는 것은 매우 안타까운 일"이라고 강조했다.

그는 "우리 정부는 북한의 추가적 도발을 포함한 핵과 미사일 위협에  효과적으 로 대응할 수 있는 종합적 대책을 강구하고 있으며 관련국 및 국제사회와 공조,  이 번 발사에 대한 대응조치를 취해나갈 것"이라고 밝혔다.

김 장관은 이어 "국민 여러분께서도 안심하고 일상을 유지해주기 바란다"고  덧 붙였다.

 

naver
MOST POPULAR
LATEST NEWS